A Note About Roof Racks
- Roofnests are engineered to be mounted to two cross bars that are at least 30 inches apart. Platform racks can be used, but are not necessary and in some cases make installation trickier.
Please refer to the platform rack installation guide for more information.
- On some makes of vehicles, the stock crossbars are too close to the roof to provide the clearance to install the mounting hardware. In these cases an after-market crossbar solution is recommended.
- You can always use etrailer.com as a great resource to find the perfect crossbar or check out this article for more information.
- The Roofnest Falcon Pro weighs 180 lbs. Your crossbars should be rated to support the weight of the tent by itself. Crossbars have a weight rating which is the dynamic load rating (when your vehicle is moving at highway speeds) and can support 5-7 times this Dynamic Load rating when your car is parked. Almost all modern cars and crossbars have no problem supporting the weight of a Roofnest and occupants – just don’t drive on the highway with your friends in your Roofnest!
- One Mounting Kit with:
- 4 U-shaped Brackets
- 8 M8 Bolts with 8 Lock Nuts (if needed, replacements can be found at your local hardware store)
- 8 Aluminum Mounting Plates
- 1 13mm Ratcheting Wrench
- Sand-Free Mat
- 2 USB LED Light Strips
- 2 Multi-functional Pockets (great for storing shoes and dirty items)
- Gear Grid
- 2 Crossbars with 4 crossbar towers and hardware
Crossbars, Accessory Channels & Hardware
- The versatile Falcon Pro crossbar system is included with every tent and attaches to the accessory channel on the top shell. To attach your crossbars, insert the M8 bolts into the accessory channel on the top shell and attach all four towers, two on each side. The crossbars attach to the towers in the same way – insert the M8 bolts into the bottom tracks on the crossbars and attach to the towers. There are optional rubber end caps that you can fit onto the ends of the crossbars to protect the ends.
- The Falcon Pro crossbars are able to be adjusted along the length of the tent to allow you to carry any of your adventure accessories and toys. The crossbar system allows the same M8 hardware to be slotted into the 6 channels in each crossbar (2 on top and bottom and 1 on front and back) so you can mount anything and everything (up to 150 lbs with the tent closed and 75 lbs with the tent open).
- The double accessory channel system in the bottom shell allows installation of anything attachable via M8 bolts which can be slotted into each channel (up to 75 lbs per side of the tent).
- The latches, handle, and ladder mounts come pre-attached for your convenience but can be relocated almost anywhere along the accessory channel to fit your preferences. Latches must be kept at the rear of the tent.
NOW YOU ARE READY TO INSTALL YOUR FALCON PRO ONTO YOUR CAR.
We highly recommend referring to our installation video here:
STEP 1: Lift the tent onto your crossbars (you’ll need a friend or two) with the Roofnest badge facing towards the rear of your vehicle and the hinges at the front of your vehicle.
STEP 2: Make sure the tent is positioned approximately where you want it. Typically, if it looks right – it is! For SUVs and hatchbacks, open you trunk and push the tent back until it just misses touching the open trunk. This allows you to be sure hte tent won’t interfere with your trunk’s operation.
STEP 3: Prepare your mounting sets. Here is a helpful video from one of our customers:
a. Insert an M8 bolt into a mounting plate (tracks facing up). Then attach a hex head bolt a little less than half way. Repeat three more times.
b. Prepare four M8 bolt and plate sets by connecting an M8 bolt to a mounting plate. Repeat three more times.
STEP 4: With your 4 original mounting sets with the U Bracket, slide each into the mounting track, followed by your M8 bolt and plate set. Repeat for each corner of the tent.
STEP 5: Start at the front or back with a partner and lift the front or back up to slide the mounting set to the inside of your crossbar as shown in the video. Repeat for each corner.
STEP 6: Connect the mounting sets together by inserting the dangling M8 bolt through the mounting U bracket and finger-tighten a nut onto the M8 bolt. Repeat for all four corners.
STEP 7: Tighten the nuts evenly and snugly making sure that before you do a final tightening of the nuts that you have your Roofnest lined up on your vehicle’s roof exactly where you want it.
IMPORTANT: BE SURE TO CHECK THE HARDWARE AFTER 10-20 MILES OF DIVING TO ENSURE IT IS STILL SNUG. REPEAT PERIODICALLY.
- The bolts included are M8 1.25 hex head bolts, if you want shorter or longer mounting bolts they are readily available at most hardware stores.
- If your crossbars are too tall or too short for the included mounting hardware you can quickly contact our support team via chat.
- When you extend the ladder, make sure to extend all the rungs fully so they are locked. If you need to shorten the ladder, only collapse the very upper rungs – do not collapse the lower rungs to shorten the ladder. This will ensure that the ladder is safely locked.
- Make sure you don’t have any bounce in your ladder. If you do have bounce in the ladder, this means the ladder has not been properly locked, and you need to make certain that the rungs are locked starting from the bottom of the ladder and working up to the top of the ladder.
Setting up your Falcon Pro
- After opening the latches, you can push your top shell open and the struts will do the hard work for you.
- Once the top shell is fully open, tuck the bungee into the accessory channel then climb up your ladder to unzip the screen and tent door.
- To fully open the Falcon Pro, you fold the U-bar into place and secure it with the quick release tension rod. Just clip the tension rod to the ubar and then put the other end of the tension rod into the receiver in the tent’s ceiling.
Now you’re ready to camp!
USB LED Light
- Simply plug the light strip into any USB battery and the light will turn on, unplug to turn off.
- There is a pocket to store the battery near the light. You will need a battery pack for each LED strip.
NOTE: THE RECOMMENDED SPEED LIMIT WITH THE FALCON PRO ON YOUR VEHICLE IS 75 MPH
Driving speed should always be adjusted according to the current driving conditions – please use caution on your first few drives with the condor on top and always remember to check the mounting hardware.
Falcon Pro FAQs
1.How tight should the crossbar mounting bracket hardware be attached to the crossbar?
Should feel tight with a wrench, sometimes this slightly bends the lower bracket.
2. Where to position the tent over the crossbars?
As centered as possible and move just forward enough to avoid a rear door opening into the tent.
3. How to use the awning pole?
The awning pole will be flexed to create the necessary tension to keep the window or door taught. You may need to flex the pole firmly to create this tension. If the pole doesn’t seem to be working, please ensure it is seated ALL the way into the receiver.
4. Why is my brand new tent hard to close?
The Falcon 2 tents are hard to close when new. This is due to the tent materials being new and requiring a break in period. Note: the latch tension can be adjusted (see more here).